Military Conversion - ELCAS Approved

Whats the difference between a CPL and an ATPL and what will I initially get?

You will initially get a CPL IR which is a Frozen ATPL until you have 2000hrs, including 500hrs multi-pilot aircraft and a type rating. You can still get a job with a CPL IR but it means the employer will need to give you a base trainer sortie. If you have an ATPL then your type rating can be sim based. Once you have the hours and rating then you can convert your licence.

Do I need to complete the ground school course for the ATPL exams?

No, just pass the CAA exams (this changed with EASA). Easiest way is to use a question bank which explains the answers when you get them wrong. The revision weeks are useful but not essential, all depends on how much study time you have. Make sure your ELCAS course is at least £2500, so you can claim the full £2000 back. Training schools will be able to advise you which course is best. Contact our ATPL provider Path2Pilot for more information.


Are there military credits for night ratings?

No, there used to be but under EASA that privelage has been removed. Section O (military credits) does say that there are no exemptions to the credits listed, BUT you can still get the night rating without flying. First you need an EASA PPL to add it onto. You need to go to a “Head of Training” at a “Air Training Organisation” (ATO, flying school) and ask them to complete the night rating form detailing your military night hours and state no extra training is required. Send this to the CAA, pay the small fee and this is applied to your licence.

Hours and Credits


What’s the difference between military IF and civilian IFR?

Military IF is flying in clouds. Civilian IFR is flying with sole reference to instruments. You can count military logged IF and simulated hours. The rule that military IF can be multiplied by 4 to give IFR has been removed.

I’m currently in a ground tour and don’t hold a unrestricted military green rating, does that matter?

No, providing you held one at some point in your career. If you didn’t and held a restricted rating or lower than green IRT then you need a bit more training (according to the CAA). Check CAP 804, section O, military credits and read the section relevant to the IRT you hold/held.

Do I add taxi time to my military hours?

Most of the military credits forms ask for military flight time, not including taxi time. If you need to add taxi time, say to a CV, then it is accepted that you can add 10mins pre-takeoff and 5mins after landing.

​Are there credits for the IR(R) / IMC rating?

Firstly it is called an IR(R) on a EASA licence and a IMC rating on a UK licence, same thing. This does allow you to fly down to 500ft for a precision approach and 600ft for a non-precision approach and down to 1500m vis. If you hold a military unrestricted green instrument rating then you are fully credited the rating. It now becomes a paperwork exercise (plus CAA charges) to get it added to your PPL or CPL.

Useful to have and allows you to fly in IMC, IFR (not class A). Valid for 25 months and you need to complete the CAA paperwork to revalidate the rating for a further 25 months if you still have a military unrestricted green rating.

ELCAS Approved Training Provider

The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. The scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years. You are reminded that ELC funding is only available for pursuit of higher level learning i.e. for courses that result in a nationally recognised qualification at Level three or above on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (England, Northern Ireland and Wales), a Level six or above on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) or, if pursued overseas, an approved international equivalent qualification with an approved learning provider. For ACS Flight Training this means that military personnel will be able to claim ELCAS credits to redeem against the cost of flight training with us.

Are you Eligible for ELCAS?

Before being eligible to make an Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) claim, individual scheme members must have completed not less than four years eligible service to claim at the lower tier of funding (up to £1,000 per claim instalment) and eight years’ service for the higher tier (up to £2,000 per claim instalment).  Only service accumulated since 1st April 2000, may be counted as eligible service for the purpose of the ELC Scheme.

Cessna Aircraft Logo
Piper Aircraft Logo
Diamond Aircraft Logo
View the latest prices for flying with ACS Flight Training

acs flight footer

Contact Us

ACS Aviation Ltd,
Hangar 3,
Perth Airport, Scone,